The point of public relations is to make the public think favorably about the company and its offerings. Commonly used tools of public relations include news releases, press conferences, speaking engagements, and events.
Although advertising is closely related to public relations—as it too is concerned with promoting and gaining public acceptance for the company’s products—the goal of advertising is generating sales, while the goal of public relations is generating good will. The effect of good public relations is to lessen the gap between how an organization sees itself and how others outside the organization perceive it.
- It is not deceit or manipulation. Enhance organization with positive information through story telling. Everyone has a story. Tell your story.
- Positive exposure you don’t pay for directly-it’s the chatter said about the organization.
PR- involves communication, writing, networking, social media, creativity to stand out from the crowd. Content must be relevant to the here and now to be effective!
Public Relations is how OTHERS perceive you!
Self-branding and positive relationships can be enhanced through a PR professional. Positive communication used repetitively enhances your branding. Community awareness through the use of social media, press releases, blogs, and online portals will increase business visibility.
Some of the main goals of public relations are to create, maintain, and protect the organization’s reputation, enhance its prestige, and present a favorable image.
Public Relations Tips:
- Clarify your goal
- Know your target audience
- Determine what action you want from target audience
- Know what is unique about your business
- Create a focused message
- Repeat the message consistently for branding
- Plan your activities and what marketing tools you will need to carry out the message
- Cultivate relationships through networking and media
- Maintain relationships
- Change up strategy if not productive
- Know your facts-Educate your audience!
- Tell the story with experiences, visuals, postcards, graphics, social media
- Social Media-Consistent, engage, be authentic, community supportive, real issues, emotional, be relevant, hashtags, share content
Give it time!
Success is measured by relationships over a period of months.
****If you don’t tell your story, someone else will.
*****A good PR story is infinitely more effective than a front-page ad.
People buy relations, stories, and MAGIC!